ABOUT THE ROLE
Due to the successful award of additional Southwest Sydney Bus Contracts, Transit Systems is looking for qualified mechanics to carry out repair, servicing, and fault diagnosis on Diesel Heavy Vehicles. The rates are competitive, and overtime is available.
Transit Systems workshops maintain contract route and school buses including Volvo, MAN, Scania and Mercedes vehicles in configurations of rigid, articulated and double decker buses. Providing safe and reliable vehicles for Smeaton Grange, Macquarie Fields and Bradbury depots.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL YOU WILL IDEALLY HAVE/ BE
- Demonstrated work experience as a Diesel Mechanic (Heavy Vehicle preferable).
- Trade qualifications - automotive service and repair, Diesel Mechanics or Heavy Vehicle Mechanics, however Light Vehicle Mechanics are encouraged to apply.
- A HR driver’s license or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team environment.
- Experience in all forms of automotive repairs & maintenance including computer diagnostics systems.
- Reside in Australia
WHAT TO EXPECT AS A TRANSIT SYSTEMS MECHANIC
- A skill-based remuneration, from level 1 to 4 depending on experience, knowledge, ability and class of licence.
- Working together as a team, sharing a common goal of maintaining the fleet through cooperation, knowledge sharing and labour management.
- Attending vehicle breakdowns during shift or on a rotating on-call shift for after-hours with a penalty bonus.
- The choice of working overtime. Available as either 4 hours before or after shift and weekend servicing work.
- Upskilling; Licence upgrades, forklift tickets, specialised vehicle training, Light vehicle mechanic to Heavy vehicle mechanic
- Career pathway, acting leading hand role available when level 4 has been obtained as a mechanic, training is encouraged and always available.
SCOPE OF WORK
Meeting a “peak” of vehicles on road, repairing busses with minor repairs in a timely fashion to ensure every driver has a bus to take on the road.
Adhere to a kilometre-based service schedule, entailing minor/ major services and vehicle inspections. Services are assigned by a Leading Hand and Parts are provided by a Storeman.
Carry out twice yearly fleet inspection for vehicle compliance with RMS. Inspecting vehicles ahead of registration and ensuring fleet quality is optimal for presentation to passengers and inspectors.
Diagnose and repair all aspects of Mechanical systems including but not limited to.
- Suspension (airbags, control arm bushes, wishbone bushes)
- Steering (draglinks, tie rods, ball joints, steering column, wheel alignment)
- Brakes (Pads, rotors, calipers, boosters, modulators)
- Pneumatic systems (Diagnosis via schematic, air leaks, valve overhaul)
- Performance issues (Sluggish, boost faults, common rail faults, CAN faults.)
- Cooling faults (Overheating, coolant leaks, hydraulic cooling issues)
- Driveline repairs (Engine rebuilds, transmission overhauls, diff swaps)
- Electrical work (lights, voltage issues, alternator and belt faults)
On road break-downs, attending to vehicles on road with various faults from something minor like a damaged mirror to something major requiring a tow such as seized motors and or brakes locked on.
ABOUT TRANSIT SYSTEMS NSW
In partnership with Government, Transit Systems NSW innovates, designs and delivers public transport solutions that attract passengers because they are easy to use, reliable, convenient and safe. To ensure ease of use, we deliver integrated bus services and transport networks, intelligently easing road congestion and increasing a city’s sustainability and liveability.
Transit Systems NSW is part of Kelsian Group Limited, Australia’s largest integrated land and marine, tourism and public transport service provider with established international operations in London and Singapore. With around 9,223 employees, we are one of Australia’s most experienced and diverse multi-modal transport businesses operating around 3,991 buses, 113 ferries and 24 light rail vehicles, carrying over 257 million customers with where they need to be and want to go.
For more information about Transit Systems, please visit our website
We aim to provide meaningful and sustainable employment opportunities that are free from barriers, support and celebrate the diverse talents of our team members, improve awareness of the value of diversity and inclusion across our organisation, and enable our leaders to champion diversity and inclusion.