Sealink K'gari - Fraser Island Barges
Permanent Part-Time - $26.38 per hour
Join an award winning tourism and transport company
ASX 200 Listed with 9,000+ employees globally
Training and Development opportunities provided
Have a background in the tourism/ transport industry?
Experienced in customer service?
Looking for an exciting new work environment?
We encourage you to apply!
- Free Island Tours (conditions apply)
- 25% off in all outlets (conditions apply)
- Discounts for Hotel stays (conditions apply)
- Access to Employee Training Programs
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Travel Discounts
- Employee Award Programs
- Monthly One-On-One’s with your Department Manager
- Monthly departmental Buzz Nights! A great way to celebrate our achievements and get to know your Department team members on a social level
- Various team member benefits through the Accor and SeaLink brands
- Various yearly team member recognition programs, designed to recognise team members exceptional performance and achievements in the workplace
About the Role
The primary function of the Deck Hand role is customer service, maintenance of vessel presentation, ropes, paintwork and stores, and assisting with passenger and deck loading operations.
The Deck Hand responsibilities include provision of duties relevant to the vessels operations including but not limited to securing vessels to wharfs & moorings, loading/disembarking of vehicles, performing general cleaning and maintenance duties throughout the vessel including decks, breezeways, toilets, lounges, onshore facilities, storage and engine spaces.
This role will also be responsible for:
- traffic management with vehicle loading/unloading
- traffic marshalling when vehicles are awaiting to alight our vessels
- working in the onboard shop, making coffee, selling snacks, stock rotation, taking cash etc.
Key Role Requirements
- Manage the organisation, supply, stocking, rotation and replacement of the vessel stores including ropes, paint, first aid, equipment and tools
- Perform scheduled and general ship’s maintenance duties including painting, deck and general labour
- Proactively assist in the reporting, management and completion of deck maintenance requirements, including signage, fire and lifesaving equipment, communications, and painting
- Assist with mooring operations and the safe loading, unloading and carriage of passengers and supplies
- Manage and assist crew with the cleaning and presentation of the vessel including between sailings, slipping and ship's cleaning duties including public areas, decks, storage and engine spaces and onshore facilities
- Participate in formal and informal training, as required
- Ensure that the highest levels of customer service standards are maintained at all times
- Improve customer engagement
- Ensure the highest levels of personal presentation and grooming
- Proven strong customer service skills
- Vibrant and easy going personality
- Committed to working harmoniously within the team and remain professional at all times
- Physically fit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform autonomously
- Be available at short notice when there are operational needs
- Proven ability to handle difficult situations
- Be well presented at all times
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Drivers Licence
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Experience working in a fast-paced team to reach goals
- A valid Queensland RSA – or the ability to obtain one
- Elements of Ship Board Safety qualification
- Coxswain Qualification
- Senior First Aid Qualification
- Experience in the Tourism and/or Hospitality Industry
- Experience in the Marine Transport Industry
- Vessel or general maintenance experience
“All final applicants for this position will be required to consent to a criminal record check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position, as each application will be considered on its merits.”
How to Apply
Click APPLY to complete your application and upload an up to date resume.
Applications close by 5pm on 9 June 2022
Please note this closing date is indicative only. We may close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
We aim to provide meaningful and sustainable employment opportunities that are free from barriers, support and celebrate the diverse talents of our team members, improve awareness of the value of diversity and inclusion across our organisation, and enable our leaders to champion diversity and inclusion.
SeaLink - K'gari (Fraser Island) … A World Heritage listed island off Australia’s Eastern Queensland coast, is the world’s largest sand island, stretching over 120km. With cool towering rainforests to walk through and explore, over 100 freshwater lakes to swim in, including the iconic Lake McKenzie and Lake Wabby, and an amazing beach highway, where else would you rather be.
Living and working in paradise… we can’t think of anything better!
Though surrounded by untamed wilderness and rugged terrain, K'gari boasts luxurious, relaxing and natural accommodation experiences.